Of all the dental procedures we hear the most worry, misinformation, and fuss about, root canals are at the top of the list. This fairly common infection and procedure has taken on a lot of attention for the pain, severity, and recovery involved. Whether you have friends that are feeding your concerns or simply feel anxious about your root canal symptoms, the team at Sheridan Cyrus Dentistry can offer advice, assessment, and procedures to ease your fears. Visit us for all of your dental hygiene services to stay healthy and limit the pain associated with a root canal or any other oral health problem or treatment.
When Do You Need a Root Canal?
If you have been suffering from tooth pain and are nervous that a root canal may be in your future, consider the common symptoms, signs, and causes below:
- Causes: When the soft tissue, root, or nerve of the tooth becomes infected, it can become inflamed, leading to tooth pain and sensitivity. This infection can become worse and spread, leading to a lost tooth, more serious health issues, and abscesses if left unattended. The infection may be caused by repeated dental work on a single tooth, accelerated tooth decay, cracked teeth, or an injury.
- Symptoms: You may find increased and prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold foods. In addition, pain, discoloration, swelling, tenderness, or drainage either at the site of the tooth or in surrounding jaw and gums are the most common signs that a root canal is necessary. Sometimes no signs or symptoms present themselves, so regular dental checkups are crucial to catch problems before they progress.
Root Canal Treatments
This is how the most common root canal procedures are safely and quickly performed by our root canal specialists in Toronto:
- Remove the Infection: The infected tissue and pulp will be removed, and the root canal will be cleaned and shaped carefully before it is filled and sealed.
- Restore the Tooth: Once a period of time has gone by, allowing the tooth to heal, a crown or restorative measure will be placed on the tooth for a full recovery, improved aesthetics, and better functionality.
- Limited Pain: With new technology and consistent advancements in anesthetics and dental techniques, most patients do not experience discomfort during the root canal procedure.
- Recovery: Your dentist will provide instructions to care for the tooth and recover. Over the counter or prescription medications may be recommended to manage pain, and some tenderness may persist in the days following the treatment. Report back to your dental clinic if you experience pain or discomfort for an extended period of time.
Sheridan Cyrus Dentistry can perform root canals and regular teeth cleaning to ensure that your teeth are healthy today and in the future. Schedule your initial consultation or book your appointment if you think you may need a root canal. Visit us for all of your family’s dental health needs.
Contact your family dentists in Scarborough to learn more about how common and painless root canals are today. Book your appointment with Sheridan Cyrus Dentistry today by calling (416) 287-2426.
Monday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Thursday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Friday 11:30 AM - 7:00 pm
Saturday 7:00 AM - 4:00 pm