Protect Yourself from Oral Cancer
Cancer affects all parts of the human body, including the mouth. Oral cancer is a scary and life-threatening disease. Your risk of contracting it will increase as you grow older, so taking preventative steps and living a healthy lifestyle from a younger age is a good idea. Read on to learn more about how you can limit your risk of developing oral cancer or contact the team at Dr. Cyrus Dentistry with your questions or concerns.
Tips for Preventing Oral Cancer
Prevention is the best way to combat cancer. To minimize your risk of developing oral cancer, you should focus on establishing a lifestyle that is healthy overall. Take the following preventative measures to limit your chances of developing this disease:
- Maintain a good oral hygiene routine by brushing and flossing regularly
- Avoid smoking or chewing any tobacco products
- If you enjoy drinking alcohol, make sure you consume it in moderation
- Eat a balanced diet and choose foods that are rich in cancer-fighting nutrients
- Maintain an active lifestyle and exercise regularly
- Eat fresh, raw foods when possible and limit the number of fried foods you eat
- Visit your dentist regularly for teeth cleaning and checkups
- Examine yourself once a month for any unusual sensations or changes in your mouth
- Limit your exposure to UV light by wearing protective clothing and sunscreen
Signs of Oral Cancer
It is important to be able to identify the signs of oral cancer since the symptoms are not always painful or obvious. Being able to notice changes in your mouth will help you spot signs of oral cancer early and seek treatment before the disease is able to progress further. Look out for the following:
- Flat white or red spots in your mouth
- Change in the colour of your oral tissue
- Pain, numbness or tenderness that persists in the mouth or lips
- Development of a lump, cyst or thickened area in the mouth
- Formation of a sore that bleeds easily or will not heal
If you notice the development of any of the above or other unusual changes in your mouth, contact your dentist. Dr. Cyrus Dentistry offers a range of comprehensive treatments and can provide a thorough oral exam at your regular checkup. From teeth cleaning to oral cancer screenings, our team of dental professionals can provide you with peace of mind and the treatment you need.
Make sure to ask your dental hygienist for an oral cancer screening at your next appointment.
Visit us today or call Dr. Cyrus Dentistry at (416) 287-2426.
Monday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Thursday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Friday 11:30 AM - 7:00 pm
Saturday 7:00 AM - 4:00 pm