When Do You Need a Root Canal?
For many people, few dental procedures incite fear and dread like the words “root canal.” Thankfully, advancements in this procedure mean that it isn’t as scary as you may initially think. If you are experiencing discomfort or pain and fear it may be time for a root canal, contact the friendly professionals at Dr. Cyrus Dentistry. Our team can provide dental X-rays and experienced advice to determine if and when you need a root canal. Find out more about root canals below or contact us today to set up your appointment for a thorough assessment and consultation.
What You Need to Know About Root Canals
The safest way to know if you need a root canal is to visit your family dentist. If anxiety is keeping you from getting your tooth’s nerve looked at, ease your fears by understanding the following facts:
- What is it: A root canal, also known as endodontic therapy, is the process of drilling and removing unhealthy nerve and pulp before resealing the tooth to avoid further damage.
- Why does anyone need a root canal: An individual requires a root canal when the nerve and/or pulp of a tooth or teeth have become infected. This occurs due to tooth decay or damage to the tooth, often in the form of a break or crack. The damage must be removed so that it does not progress further.
- What are the symptoms: Visit your dentist if you experience pain, tenderness, swelling, or persistent sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks.
- What will the dentist do: To determine if a root canal is required, your dentist will perform a thorough examination including X-rays to understand the degree of infection. A root canal may be appropriate, and in some cases, specialists may be involved. Alternately, a less invasive treatment solution may be proposed to restore the health of your tooth or teeth.
- How can I prepare?: If you do require a root canal, there are some simple steps you can take to make the procedure go smoothly. Follow the instructions provided by your dentist or endodontist, paying special attention to eating and drinking habits before your appointment. Discuss your options for local anesthetic and ask any questions before your appointment. Bring necessary paperwork, such as insurance information or X-rays, and arrange a ride home if you have opted for sedation.
Remember that the pain of a root canal is minimal compared to the pain caused by an infected and unhealthy tooth! If you are experiencing tooth pain or swelling, contact Dr. Cyrus Dentistry as soon as possible. We can provide all of the dental services you need—from root canals to routine teeth cleaning and replacement teeth solutions.
Determine if you need a root canal with an examination at Dr. Cyrus Dentistry. Get relief and keep your mouth healthy with assistance from our friendly staff.
Call us today at (416) 287-2426 to book your assessment.
Monday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Thursday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Friday 11:30 AM - 7:00 pm
Saturday 7:00 AM - 4:00 pm