Are Dental Crowns Really Worth It?
Everyone wants pearly white teeth but most people aren’t naturally blessed with them. Thankfully, cosmetic dentistry has a number of solutions to help you improve the appearance of your teeth. At Sheridan Cyrus Dentistry, we can improve the appearance of your smile through procedures like dental crowns and implants.
What are Dental Crowns and Why are they Needed?
Dental crowns are caps or artificial teeth placed on damaged natural teeth or intact roots. They disguise or cover any damages, flaws, and imperfections in your natural teeth. For example, if your tooth has a deep cavity and looks dark instead of white, you can place a dental crown over it to make it look natural and healthy.
The dentist will take Digital Impressions of your teeth and send them to the manufacturer directly to ensure the dental crowns are of the right size and shape. Dental crown placement and implantation is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedures in our Scarborough dental office.
How Long do Dental Crowns Last?
Properly placed crowns will last anywhere between 5 and 15 years. These crowns will last longer if you maintain them well, monitor your eating habits, and visit our dental offices in Scarborough at least twice a year. With proper care, these crowns can last up to 25 to 35 years.
What Types of Crowns are Available?
Most patients prefer porcelain crowns because they look exactly like natural teeth. People usually can’t notice the difference between an artificial porcelain crown and natural teeth. They are typically used for front teeth instead of the back molars because they are not strong enough to bear the pressure without chipping. Other Types of Crowns include:
- Metal crowns: These may be made of gold or another metal, they will last for a long time and don’t chip or break; but these crowns are very visible.
- Composite crowns: These look more natural and don’t chip or damage as easily as porcelain crowns. They are quite vulnerable to wear and even brushing can remove some material from the surface.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns: These combine the best of both worlds but offer the natural appearance of porcelain with the strength of metal. However, the metal may start to peek through in some places, especially if the gums shrink.
What is the Average Cost Involved with Dental Crowns?
- Gold or other metal dental crowns may cost from $750 to $1440
- Metal crown without precious metals range from $670 to $1300
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crown with gold or other precious metals are priced between $850 and $1550
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crown with regular metals commonly used in cosmetic dentistry in Toronto cost $770 to $1300
- Porcelain dental crown may cost between $850 and $1500
Are there any Risks Involved?
Like most medical procedures, this procedure too has a certain degree of risk involved. These risks may include:
- Nerve damage to the tooth’s nerve or root
- Removal of healthy tooth enamel in order to make room for the crown
- Tooth sensitivity because of the lack of natural enamel
- Misalignment of the teeth
You can contact our Cosmetic Dentistry Office in Scarborough to learn more about dental crowns and the procedures involved. Book your appointment with Sheridan Cyrus Dentistry today by calling 416-287-2426.
Monday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Thursday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Friday 11:30 AM - 7:00 pm
Saturday 7:00 AM - 4:00 pm