Flossing and Brushing Tips for a Clean and Beautiful Smile
You know that it is important to maintain a good oral hygiene routine, but sometimes it is hard to know exactly what a ‘good’ routine looks like. The cornerstones of a good at-home dental care routine are tooth and flossing, each and every day. If you find it difficult to keep up with a regular routine, the following tips may help you begin making small changes for a big impact and bright smile.
If you have particular oral health concerns that make brushing or flossing painful or difficult, or special considerations you would like to target in your regular routine, speak with the dental professionals at Dr. Cyrus Dentistry. Our team can provide a customized care solution and personalized advice to ensure your day time and night time care get you the results you are looking for. Contact us today to learn more about our dental services and come in for the treatment you need to ensure healthy teeth and gums.
Techniques, Tips, and Tools for Brushing and Flossing
Here are some simple tips to enhance your dental hygiene routine:
- Soft Bristles: The feeling of hard bristles can create the illusion of a deeper clean, but usually the results are worn and damaged tooth enamel. Use a soft or medium bristled toothbrush for a clean feeling that is safe for your teeth and gums. Ask your dentist for specific recommendations if you have sensitive teeth or other concerns.
- Size: Your toothbrush should fit your mouth. When shopping for the family, choose a size that is easy for kids to handle and is suitable to clean small teeth. If you feel it is difficult to control your toothbrush or target areas of your teeth and gums, consider buying an angled or smaller brush for more control.
- Time: Brushing thoroughly takes time. One quick brush over the teeth is not enough to take away food particles and bacteria that have built up over the course of the night or day. Two minutes is typically enough time to ensure teeth are properly cleaned. Be sure to give equal attention to the top and bottom teeth. Choose a
favouritesong to pass the time if you find it difficult to keep brushing for the full two minutes.
- Floss Right: Most people don’t use enough floss and, as a result, can find the experience frustrating. Take 45 cm and wind it around your middle fingers so you have a short, taut section to work with. Slide it up and down between your teeth and make a ‘c’ shape around the base of each tooth. Use a clean section of floss for each tooth. Pull the floss in a back and forth motion to remove it from between teeth. If your teeth are tight or you find your gums are bleeding too much each time you floss, consult with your dental professional.
- Make it Fun: Not excited by your current routine? Why not try a new toothpaste
flavouror minty floss? It is an easy way to switch up your routine. Find products that make you happy to spend a few extra moments caring for your health before bed.
There is no substitute for professional teeth cleaning and checkup, so be sure not to skip your regular dental appointments. A consistent at-home routine is great for preventative care, but a professional assessment is required to catch small issues and tooth decay before they progress to become bigger problems. Contact Dr. Cyrus Dentistry today to book your appointment. We offer a range of dental services, from fillings to teeth whitening.
Learn more about making the most of your dental hygiene routine and prevent tooth decay.
Schedule your appointment by calling us at (416) 287-2426.
Monday 10:00 AM - 7:30 pm
Tuesday 9:00 AM - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 10:00 AM - 7:30 pm
Thursday 10:00 AM - 7:30 pm
Friday 11:30 AM - 6:30 pm
Saturday 7:00 AM - 3:30 pm