Advice from Your Neighbourhood Dentist
Ideally, you should go in for a dental check-up once a year. If your insurance allows it, twice per year is even better.
How often do you go?
While you brush and floss at home, you still need a cleaning appointment with your dental professional. Dental cleanings by a professional hygienist deliver a deeper clean that your toothbrush cannot. Also, they are pivotal for ensuring optimum oral health and catching the early signs of disease.
10 Reasons to Schedule a Dental Cleaning Today
If you have avoided the dental chair for some time, there are a few good reasons to schedule an appointment, including:
- Tartar Buildup is Bad for Oral Health: The hard-to-reach crevices inside your mouth have tartar buildup, and a hygienist can remove it with special tools. Without a cleaning, tartar can continue to build and lead to cavities.
- X-Rays Detect Early Decay: During a regular check-up, you will get dental x-rays. X-rays screen for cavities and early signs of decay – long before your tooth starts causing pain.
- Examining Dental Habits: Do you know if you are brushing too hard? Are you using the right toothpaste? Do you grind your teeth in your sleep? During your check-up, your dentist will go over your dental habits and where you might need to improve.
- Gum Disease: Gum disease is not easy to see right away; unless you are a dental professional. Your dentist examines your gums and looks for early signs of disease. The earlier it is treated, the less likely it is to develop into something more serious.
- Oral Cancer Screening: A dental check up includes an oral cancer screening. During the screening, your dentist looks for early signs of cancer in the mouth and if detected, can refer you to a specialist for prompt treatment.
- Other Essential Checks: Your dentist also does a quick head, neck, and lymph node check to look for complications, early signs of inflammation, and dental issues.
- Sleep Apnea: If you find yourself waking up tired, you might have sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a condition that causes you to stop breathing during regular intervals at night. A customized mouthguard from your dentist might help prevent apnea and get you more hours of rest each night.
- Bad Habits: Stay accountable for bad habits, such as smoking or eating sweet treats right before bed. Your dentist ensures you are following proper hygiene and avoiding bad habits that lead to premature decay.
- Fewer Surprises: When you see your dentist for an appointment once a year, you might have fewer surprises, including toothaches, sensitivity, and cavities.
- Using Your Dental Benefits: You pay for dental insurance benefits, so why not use them? Your dental insurance covers annual teeth cleanings, and some insurance providers allow bi-annual cleaning appointments.
Reap the benefits of regular teeth check-ups by scheduling a dental consultation with Sheridan Cyrus Dentistry. Our hygienists will clean your teeth, and your dentist will examine your mouth for any problem areas.
Schedule your dental consultation with the friendly team at Sheridan Cyrus Dentistry. Call our office now at 416-287-2426.
Monday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 AM - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Thursday 9:30 AM - 8:00 pm
Friday 11:30 AM - 7:00 pm
Saturday 7:00 AM - 4:00 pm